Planning: Camera testing

Before starting the final shooting for the project I have to do some Camera testing to ensure that the cameras will produce the footage needed. I had tested the camera in both locations where I would be shooting, this will allow me to see if the lighting in these areas needed to be improved to get the best results from the filming.

The first camera test which I completed was in the first location. To do this is used the one point colour. I chose to do the testing in this mode as this is my preferred option, instead of editing in the leave colour effect. I also completed the task in 16:9 resolution (which is widescreen) as this is the format which I will be using for the final filming.

The video below is for the red Colour which I originally chose to do.

             

The results from this test were very disappointing as the camera wasn't just picking up the red of the curtain and the shoes, it was also taking up the browner, yellower colours from the floor, which was not what I had planned. This is very disappointing as I had chosen thee colour red as it is a lot more striking than the other colours, this specific colour represents the both love and hate passion, and anger, making it have different effects on the target audience.  Despite this the rest of the colours which where not in the same colour palette where in black and white like the green jumper which he is wearing.

To fix this problem I had to find another colour which is not in the same colour plate as the environment so that it will have a greater effect, and it will stand out more. I had told the actor to wear I a Green jumper, before hand as his was my second choose colour as it represented the more organic tones to the artists Acid jazz rap style, I switched to this colour setting and did the same test.
the results for this are shown in the video below.

            

The change in colour is a negative, but it still has a very strong link to chance himself as he regularly refers to drugs and smoking (marijuana) in his album and in this song as well. so the green colour also represents the greenery in the sound and lyrics in his music.

I also then done the same camera test in the second location. this locate had the same problems as it took in more odours than needs with yellows and browns light being absorbed. but this was not the only down side to this location it also had very bad lighting, meaning some of the reds which where clear in the shots where very dull and very boring.

The video showing this, is located below.

           

As you can see there is to much colour in the video, and not enough of the footage is black and white. there is a setting on the camera to change the amount of colour it absorbs and the to change the sharpness, but this just reduced the quality of the video.

With the prior knowledge of the second test I chose to focus on the colour green, but this is when the second major problem came in tot play. despite having consistent lighting as it is indoors, the light we had was very poor and did not show the green colour clearly, meaning it did not have the same impact of the one in the first location.

The video is shown below.

            

The video also shows the effect this setting had, for some reason it was giving the house a slight green filter on the walls and but the green on the jacket was not stinging out. When I increased the lighting it actually made the image quality worse, as it added noise to the image.

I then had to find another location which I could use for the house of the rapper. I managed to find a location which was easy for me to use as I could utilise this house regularly and the lighting in the house was much better and more balanced through out the house.

I then did the camera test in this second location the video is shown below.

         

This location was much letter as the lighting in here allowed me to show the green colour much better and it wasn't overwhelmed by other colours be taken in by the camera. this is likely to be the location I will use instead of the original which I had planned. Although I think using some lighting rigs in the location can further improve the quality of the video.